Saturday 18 August 2012

25,000 miles

My hire agreement allows me to do 25,000 miles a year. That works out at 70.4 miles a day, or 493 miles a week. I suppose having had it for 5 days, my mileage should be about 350. I think it's actually somewhere around that, but I have been doing quite a lot of extra miles. Getting the car back from Warrington on Monday, and going up to Clitheroe in Lancashire today to pick up my mum in law from her holiday. That's a round trip of about 110 miles. Outwards, I was focussed mainly on getting there at something like the right time, as it's a place I've never been to before. I was a little bit late, but only by about maybe 15 minutes, after getting a bit lost in Clitheroe town centre.

The journey back was more relaxed though, and I had the time and space to work out how to use some of the car's more arcane features. Particularly cruise control. It's the first car I've had that has such a feature, and once I'd worked out what was going on, it turned out to be relatively straightforward. Turn a thing that's a little bit like a mouse wheel to select either "off", "speed limiter" or "cruise", and press a couple of buttons to select the cruise speed you want, and that's it.

It should be a very economical way of driving too. Driving at a constant speed is more efficient and consumes less fuel than changing speed. My fuel consumption, by the way, is a little over 50 miles per gallon. Significantly better than the Fiesta, although I've done quite a lot of motorway driving.

A week today, I will be heading south to see an old friend in Aylesbury. A drive of a little under 200 miles. I reckon that by setting the cruise speed at a nice steady 60, I should be able to get there and back quite easily on a tank of fuel.

driving lessons in Wallasey? learn to drive in Wirral? driving instructor in Birkenhead?

No comments: