Tuesday 28 June 2011

Posts and pages

In blogger, you can add pages as well as posts, but you can only use the main original page to do multiple posts. At least that's the way it seems. This is a shame, because if I could post to the pages, I could move the fail your test thing directly over. Perhaps Wordpress offers this function.

Hmmmm. It doesn't appear to.

Alternatively, being able to get the page link just below the title to point to something other than a page - Like a fail your test blog for example. I'm sure that's not directly possible, but I could easily make some buttons in gimp, and attach hyperlinks to them. There might be a way of copying the html into the site.

I'd have to upload the buttons to  somewhere.

This is all coming together quite nicely. It's not finished by any means, but I have a method. - Use the wysiwyg html I'm familiar with, and paste it in to a html box. I don't need any actual posts. A page was useful for uploading the button images to. Clicking them gave me their url.

So I can work on fine tuning style and content, but I can get my head around this way of doing things.

Right now, I have a big long letterbox format picture at the top of my page. Plenty of room there to display testimonials.

I've looked at how it's possible to create a random quote generator on blogger, and there are ways of doing it.

What I can do though is turn that header image into an animated gif. I know it works in wordpress because that's how I did the header for damnthewholeworld I'm pretty confident that it will work in blogger too, especially since it's using the html box.

Simply overlay testimonial text onto background image and turn them into an animated gif, setting appropriate time delay between frames.

Onwards....

1 comment:

Jim Bliss said...

Also, if you're self-hosting wp, then remember the most important thing of all... plugins are your friend.

If you want to add functionality to your wp site that's not built-in to the core system and don't have the programming skills to build it yourself, then there's a very good chance that someone else has already built it and turned it into a plugin.