Saturday 13 March 2010

Half Man Half Biscuit in Shrewsbury

Andy Kershaw once described Half Man Half Biscuit as "The most authentic British folk band since The Clash."

He has a point. Their music is a repository of modern British culture. From Amanda Burton to Japanese Fighting dogs on Swindon Council Estates. They're also bloody funny sometimes.

If you've heard them, you'll know what I mean, although you might just be surprised to hear they're still going. If you've not, go take a look on youtube or have a listen to some of the radio sessions on their website.

They have been around since the early 80's, and have matured into a band with a huge width of influences, from early 30's blues, through 60's psychedelia to sea shanties. They're doing a gig in Shrewsbury on the 25th of this month, and I'm going.

I wasn't going to, as it's a long way to go on your own, and Bren couldn't make it. But I have an online acquaintance who lives fairly close. So we've come to an agreement. I get somewhere to lay my head overnight, probably with a few beers and what have you. He gets a ticket to see Half Man Half Biscuit too. What not to like?

I couldn't resist posting a video to end this post. So many to choose from, but I narrowed it down to either the very short "Vatican Broadside" or the long "24 hour Garage People".

Whatever I find first...



The home made visuals are always very literal. If you're going to bother, why not do something more than matching pictures to words?

No comments: