Monday 29 July 2013

Loam alone.

Today I have been to the allotment, not once but twice. This dinnertime, I mined the loam heap. When we first got the plot, the soil was thick with grass roots. Much of it went in a big pile, and we put a tarp over the pile and just left it. The roots are still there, but they should be dead now. The soil and roots have a nice fibrous texture. I dug a load out, and put it in bags. The pile is down the far end, and I'm handing that bit back, so I do want to get as much of this loam as I can, while I still can.

Second time was later on. I went to pick up some of the big builder's bags I'd got from ebay. I got 19 of them for 50 quid, and I also got another 9 via freecycle. In my mind's eye, they were all white, but I've ended up with a range of different colours. That's 28 square metres of my plot capable of being converted to my new way of doing things. I dug up the first early spuds from the front of my plot, and did a bit of weeding of the bed the spuds had been in. Then I covered it with weed suppressing membrane. Tomorrow, I will be taking the membrane back off, and digging out a lot of the soil. The membrane will go into the shallow indentation, and these big bags will go on top of that. Into the big bags will go the soil I dug from beneath them, loam, and if possible, a load of horse manure. Then repeat until end of plot is reached.

1. Harvest/Weed.
2. Dig out soil.
3. Lay out membrane and cut to length.
4. Put big bags on top of membrane.
5. Fill bags with soil/loam/poo.
6. Plant stuff in them.

A lot of hard work, but hopefully worth it.

driving lessons in North Wirral? learn to drive in Hoylake? driving instructor in Birkenhead?

No comments: