Sunday 14 October 2012

time will tell



Dear Mr Stratton,

For the past few years My Wife, Brenda and myself have been working our plot on the Love Lane allotment site on behalf of our Son (my stepson) Alex Sheldon.

Really, the plot has been worked by Brenda. I would go and do some of the donkey work, but I had little say in what went on. So I didn't really bother with it that much. It didn't feel like I had any stake in it.

Having opened a shop in Liscard, and working between 50 and 70 hours per week getting it up and running, Brenda had less time to give. In addition, her relationship with some other plot holders wasn't good. And then vandals destroyed our shed, and the shed of our next door neighbour.

Brenda decided she no longer wanted to keep the plot. I went along with this, but after a few weeks, I felt guilty about all the stuff we'd planted just going to waste. So I went down to the plot, and harvested a lot of stuff. It took most of a day, and while I was there, I realised I really didn't want to give up this plot.

Brenda wants nothing more to do with it so I've had to do it all myself.

For the last couple of weeks, I've made regular visits to my plot, 3 or 4 times per week, and done what I can to get it back into shape. I've made methodical progress, working from the front of the plot backwards. In those couple of weeks, I have got most of the front of the plot into a reasonable state, I've made use of the metal sheeting from the burned shed to make an area for compost, into which I can now put the overgrowth from the back of the plot.

I am proud of the progrss I have made in the last fortnight or so, even if not everything I've done has been effective. I took the time to research what could be sown at this time of year, and planted radishes, spinach and mustard, only to find my beds under water a couple of days later following days of torrential rain. The beds though, are dug over and mainly weed free.

Over the next couple of weeks, I intend to continue working towards the rear of the plot, until it's all in a reasonable condition. I've shown myself that I can find the time and motivation and I'm enjoying the challenge of running my own plot.

I therefore respectfully ask that you suspend your eviction notice, until a further inspection has taken place.

Yours sincerely,


--
Paul Sharp

driving lessons in Wallasey? learn to drive in Wirral? driving instructor in Birkenhead?

No comments: