Tuesday 10 July 2012

What next after this one?

In order to do my job, I need a car. How often do you hear that? But in my case, as a driving instructor, it's pretty much indispensible.

Some driving instructors buy a car. I choose to lease mine. Generally on a two year lease. I extended the lease on my previous car by an extra year, but I will not be doing so on the car I have now. It's a perfectly good car, but it's starting to show it's miles. The last car was pretty rough by the time I returned it to the leasing company. Also the car I have now is pretty basic. Just a standard diesel 1.4 litre Ford Fiesta. It does it's job but it's nothing flashy. When I chose it I was working for someone who gave me pupils in exchange for money. I didn't need an above spec vehicle to attract customers.

So it goes back towards the end of next month. What do I replace it with?

Well first of all, I guess I want to continue leasing, and to do so from the company I currently lease from. So my choice is constrained by what they offer, and their range is limited to a fairly small number of brands and models.

After some thought and research, I've narrowed my choice to two cars. The Ford Fiesta 1.6 tdci zetec and the Citroen DS3 1.6 HDi Dstyle Airdream. On the two year, 60,000 mile contract I'd be getting both are exactly the same price. £70.99 per week before VAT. The DS3 is being promoted. The leasing company are also promoting a couple of 1.4 litre diesel Fiestas for about £6 a week less but I want a 1.6. They're easier to drive, and, a little bit counterintuitively, tend to use less fuel than a 1.4.

Here's the skinny on the two models...


Ford Fiesta
Citroen DS3
GEARBOX
5 SPEED MANUAL
GEARBOX
5 SPEED MANUAL
ACCELERATION (0 - 62 MPH)
11.8 SECONDS
ACCELERATION (0 - 62 MPH)
12.5 SECONDS
GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT
1540 Kg
GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT
1602 Kg
WARRANTY
3 YEAR / 60000 MILES
WARRANTY
3 YEAR / 60000 MILES
FUEL ECONOMY
67.2 MPG
FUEL ECONOMY
76.3 MPG
EMISSIONS
107 g/km BAND B
EMISSIONS
98 g/km BAND A
TAX COSTS
£20.00 / Year (V.E.D)
TAX COSTS
£0.00 / Year (V.E.D)
FIRST YEAR COSTS
£917 YEAR ONE
FIRST YEAR COSTS
£808 YEAR ONE


I can't say it matters too much that one gets from 0-60 in 0.7 seconds less than the other. The Tax Costs are irrelevent because the tax disc comes as part of the package.

So from that, I'm tending towards the DS3. It's also a cooler car. That cachet could generate a few extra pupils for me.

There are a couple of downsides too. Firstly, the Fiesta is available as a 5 door (at an extra cost of £2.00 per week+VAT) but the DS3 isn't. Secondly, there would be continuity for my pupils if I replace my current car with the same model.

But after putting them head to head here, I find I've made my mind up.
 
driving lessons in Wallasey?

2 comments:

Pete said...

If money is tight, go with the 1.4l diesel.

I assume parts are a non-issue as a new car won't need many spares and any breakdown, the leasing company will provide you with a replacement.

Drive both cars, imagine you are a learner driver, and decide which one is less likely to crash.

What I am doing here is called stating the obvious.

Paul said...

The 1.4 diesel is cheaper to lease, but costlier to run. Overall, the weekly overhead would be almost identical.