Tuesday 1 May 2012

old stuff looking for

On a bit of a nostalgia trip, I downloaded a bit of software that effectively turned my PC into a Commodore Amiga. http://www.winuae.net/ (you also have to get hold of the operating system ROMs,which are copyrighted and not included in the package)

I'm having a whale of a time playing some of the games I used to play.

Cannon Fodder, The Settlers, etc. All good fun, but there's one I'm trying to find, and I'm hampered because I can't remember what it's called.

It's a football (soccer) management game, and it was the first in a series. What made it different to the other footy manager games out at the time was that it had a sort of board game as part of the gameplay. Each turn, a die would roll and pieces would move around the board, onto squares that might increase a players ability at a particular skill, or take money from me, or injure a player.

Anyone know what it was?

And while I'm on the subject, at about the same time, I watched an animated film very late at night. Once again, if I knew anything about it's name or who it was by it would probably be very easy to source, but all I can remember of it is that the story behind the animation was a contest between good and evil.

The story was being written as the film progressed by an author who was trying very hard to write a bright and happy tale. The good, happy stuff was represented by a cheerful, colourful character. But evil, who was portrayed as a black clothed, hooded, skeletal character, kept getting into the story and attempting to kill happiness. One bit I remember is that evil drops a big rock onto happy guy and squashes him. The author then makes his happy character turn the rock into brightly coloured flowers, thereby freeing himself.

In the end, evil somehow gets to the author, and with a pair of scissors, somehow cuts the author off from the skein of his story.

So ultimately a dark tale, but what was it? Anyone know? 

driving lessons in Wallasey?

No comments: