Monday 16 January 2012

Best thing since..

You can't buy thin sliced bread at the supermarket anymore.

I wanted to buy thin sliced bread because a) it would go a bit further. b) I'm trying to lose weight. c) Out of sheer pedantic bloody-mindedness.

You see, in the supermarket, you can buy medium sliced bread, thick sliced bread, and extra thick sliced bread.

Now forgive me, but if I have a small thing, a big thing, and something that is between those two extremes, it's that middle, mean, median, modal one that's "medium". If I take the small thing and replace it with a giant thing, the one that was formerly "big" becomes the new medium.

So I take exception to the thinnest available bread being labelled as "Medium". It isn't. It's "Thinnest" if not actually "Thin".

Preferably, I'd like to see them sell "Thin" again, but presumably because it goes further, there's less bread to be made from it.

driving lessons in Wallasey?

1 comment:

Pete said...

Deliberate ploy to sell more bread. There have been numerous studies about the increasing size of portions of the years.