Wednesday 27 April 2011

It's not just about the money...

The regular reader of this blog will be aware that I'm not happy with the way things are going at work.

In the past, I've dwelt upon the financial side of things, and nothing much has changed there really. I'm not in a sustainable position. I don't have a coke habit. We don't go on holidays to the Seychelles every year. Yet we're gradually falling deeper and deeper into debt. Rising costs are just steepening the slope for us a bit, but even if my costs were roughly what they were last year, I'd still be struggling.

But really, the money side of things is only a part of the story.

You see, I spent pretty much all of my working life being told what to do and how to do it. Not all the bosses and supervisors I worked under were bastards by any means, but a big part of becoming a driving instructor was because I didn't want to punch a clock any more. Yet here I am, paying somebody who gives me a bollocking if I lose a pupil, and who expects me to dress in a certain way, and follow a particular way of doing things.

If I was making a decent living out of it, I'd probably be more prepared to put up with it, but I don't have that much to lose really.

Of course, If I leave the auspices of my current booking agent/employer, I then have to compete with him. I've struggled to do this once before. At least if I do choose to leave, I'm better informed about what I'm up against.

If it were easier to find a different job completely, I'd probably jack this in. I suppose I should look now, but I'd like to try again on my own, or I'm toying with attempting to establish some kind of non-heirarchical instructors co-operative, or even relocating to an area where the competition is less intense.

Watch this space. The next few days could be eventful.

No comments: