Monday 24 January 2011

The Sound of Silence

I had a driving test this morning, my 4th of 2011. So far this year I have a 100% pass rate. Four tests. Four passes. I have another one tomorrow morning, and I think that's where my run will end.

So I've been spending a fair bit of time at my local driving test centre.

In the past, there was a small, tinny loudspeaker shoved in a corner of the waiting room, and instructors and test candidates would be regaled with radio. My own preference was for radio 4, but generally the best I could hope for would be radio 2. More usually, it would be a local commercial radio station, so I'd have to suffer the adverts and the inane safe chart fodder tunes.

I hadn't even noticed it was missing, but it is. The speaker has been removed, and you could hear a pin drop.

The reason, I'm told, is the Performing Rights Society. If the DSA want to play a radio in their public waiting room, they must first purchase a license from the PRS. The PRS themselves have been busy visiting shops and offices, and threatening people with legal action.

So next time you're in the barbers, and all you can hear is the quiet snick of the scissors, this is why.

No comments: